Why I Switched to Squarespace

Posted by naharazizi on Friday, October 21, 2011



As a busy photographer, my days are often filled with recording, editing, and client communication. I need to know that my website works correctly and is able to look at any computer or device. When I started the place in 2003, I used a program called Dreamweaver. Although this was very effective, there were several flaws. First, was the lack of mobility. To change this, should I be on my desktop computer running the software. Simple design changes to a lot of time and requires a solid understanding of some of the complexity of the program. In addition, many IE compatibility testing is required. What worked in Firefox did not necessarily work in Internet Explorer or Safari. Considering how many different browsers are used, it was a difficult task.

I began to seek a solution with a web-based interface. Ideally, it will be as easy as updating a blog. Simply log in from any computer in the world, upload pictures, add pictures and text, and you're done. Of course I still wanted the ability to quickly customize the design, and be sure it will work on any computer, browser and mobile device. Sounds easy does not it? Well, it should be, but there are many web solutions out there. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Over several months I have carefully examined several options before my final decision. I believe I found the information will be useful for those looking to build their own web pages.

Several photographers I respect Livebooks use, so I started my research there. All of their web sites using Flash technology that most people either like or hate. This is the sophisticated look, but can be terribly slow to load. Also, do not work very well on mobile phones. I tried to visit many of their web site from my iPhone and got a generic message that said: "To see the flash version of this website, you must use a Java Script enabled browser and the Flash plug-in." Although there is a link to view the HTML version of the site, seems to have watered down version of the original design. With so many people surfing the net on smart phones, I find that this is a big problem. After Livebooks "one time fee" of $ 3,199.00 for custom pages, plus $ 90 per year for hosting, there is a possibility that many people will be able to access the site due to Flash limitations. Livebooks also offers basic predesigned room for a one time fee of $ 1,199.00 plus $ 90 annual hosting fee. You have to charge for any "add-on" opportunities.

Next I checked out NeonSky. They also have a Flash website, but they seem to work much better on the iPhone as a mobile visitor is automatically redirected to the HTML version of your site. Their package is $ 350 one time fee, and $ 45 per month for hosting. Although this is a very competitive price, currently only two main navigation styles to choose from. You can change many aspects of these two styles, but if you want to add more customization such as the spray site or a contact form, you must pay the design cost of $ 125 per hour.

Clickbooqs is $ 499 per year plus $ 99 annual hosting fee. They also have the option of a one time payment of $ 1,699, plus an annual hosting fee of $ 99. As Livebooks and Neonsky, Clickbooqs a flash based site and requires users to have Java-Script enabled browser and the Flash plugin.

After reading many online consumer complaints about Bludomain, I quickly turn them off. I also discovered that you can add title information to Bludomain. This essentially makes it useless for its services to photographers. They seem to be more catering wedding photographers who want music on the home page.

I looked in BigFolio and plan for a one time set up fee of $ 450 and a monthly hosting charge of $ 20. They have some very nice, simple templates that allow some changes. Further customization is done by sending the price quote. Unlike any of the above features, Big Folio offers a "small folio" add-on for people who are browsing with an iPhone or iPod touch. This is an additional $ 49 fee for setting this up.

Finally, I came across Squarespace through a colleague who was pleased with their services. Adding photos, video and text can be done very quickly from any computer with internet access. No set up fee and monthly plans range from $ 8 per month and up. They are not flash based web site so that everything loads very quickly. Mobile visitors can experience a real web design and functionality.

Then came the game changing announcement. Squarespace has launched an application that gives users full control over your web page or blog using the iPhone. You can post, edit, please refer to the links, incoming traffic and subscribers. You can even insert pictures stored on your phone. It also has an ability to touch sync with your desktop computer. You can post on the road and end up at home. This App is free to all users of Squarespace.

Squarespace also has an excellent blog import tool. This allows you to import all content from your old blogger or Wordpress Blog directly into the new Squarespace blog. I had 450 percent of bloggers, and spread through without a problem. It uses my site SEO as well as all the blog content now falls under my domain name and not a third party blog hosts. No other website offers this service feature streamlined.

design and customization of your site is virtually unlimited. You start by selecting one of the many templates and modify as you wish. While it does take some getting used to, the system is very user friendly and requires no HTML or coding experience. Since moving to Squarespace, the number of new clients I am attracted to the web site has increased significantly. Best of all, it saves time and allows me to focus on photography and business. Whenever I had questions, customer support is very responsive. They are even on Twitter, listening in real time, should you need their help. Site uptime is great, with no noticeable slow downs or bottlenecking. For me, Squarespace offers the following solution generation web that is accessible and appealing. They offer cutting edge features that no other web hosting company in s. Compared with a user friendly web sites, SEO benefits, and real-time traffic analysis, I believe Squarespace quietly positioned as a leader in web and blog publishing.